Frequently asked questions by customers
- I would like to apply for a CSC’s user account. How do I proceed? Check out which user group you belong to (university or commercial usage). If you are a university customer, you can print an academic user account application (pdf) from CSC web site, fill in the information and send it to CSC by mail with a reference “User Accounts”. Customers from other research institutions and commercial enterprises need a commercial contract with CSC. More information from Customer site.
- I have lost my password. What should I do? Contact CSC’s UserManager (tel. 09 - 457 2075, usermgr at csc.fi), who can fill in a new password for you at CSC’s computing environment.
- My CSC e-mail box does not work anymore and I cannot read my CSC e-mails? The e-mail services for CSC user accounts are ending in the beginning of November 2008, when CSC's IMAP server for customer e-mails (imap.csc.fi) will be phased out. More information at customer bulletins.
I belong to more than one computing project. Which of my projects consumes resources when I submit my job? See Directing CPU time consumption to the right project.
How do I know how much computing resources I have left on my computing account? The most important unix commands concerning CPU time and disk quota are saldo and quota –v. You can also follow your resource situation at CSC customer extranet called the Scientist's User Interface. Saldo's on-line manual is available by giving the unix command man saldo. More information about saldo.
- I receive the following note at the end of my batchjob logfile: “ATTENTION: You have less than 20% CPU time quota left on your default account. Please apply for more CPU time quota. Contact CSC by e-mail to usermgr at csc.fi or by tel. (09) 457 2075.” What should I do? Your computing quota is about to finish. Small amounts of additional CPU quota may be applied by email from CSC UserManager. Large additional computing resources are applied by web application. See instructions on applying for CPU time.
- I cannot login to CSC computing environment even though I know that my username and password are correctly typed? What is wrong? It is possible that you have exceeded you disk space limit and login is not possible anymore. Contact CSC UserManager who will give you some temporary disk space for the time you need to clean up your home directory.
- How do I apply for a grid certificate? See instructions on Getting a grid certificate.
- I am leaving abroad as a visiting scientist or a post doc researcher. May I use CSC’s computing resources during my visit abroad? You have the right to use CSC’s computers if the connection to the Finnish home university remains. If you have problems using computers abroad, contact CSC’s science support or Helpdesk to locate the problem.
- I have changed my home university/polytechnic. Can I keep my present user account and join it to some research project under the new university department? Yes, you can, and the move is actually obligatory so that the university user statistics will go right. Find out if your new professor/project leader has suitable on-going projects at CSC you could join. If not, then we can open you a new research project. Give the transfer details and project supervisor info with the application form for computing services. More information from the CSC UserManager.
- I have graduated and moved away from the academic research world. However, I am now starting to study again for my licentiate/doctorate degree. Can I get CSC’s user account for my studies? If you an officially registered student at some university or polytechnic, you may receive an academic user account for your studies. Fill in the appropriate user account form, write to the additional information field a short explanation about your studies and ask your supervising professor to sign the application form. Professor’s signature authorizes your usage and joins it to that university’s research usage. NOTE, you may use this user account for academic research purposes only.
- A foreign researcher is joining our university research group as a visiting scientist. May he/she receive an academic user account to CSC? A visiting foreign scientist/student may get a temporary user account under the host organization for the visiting period. Fill in CSC’s normal Academic User Account Application. The hosting professor will authorize the account application by his/her signature and the account is opened under the supervising professor’s on-going projects or as a new project.
- How do I change my password? You can change your password through the Scientist's User Interface: Personal information -> Change password. It is possible to change your password also in unix window by typing the command "passwd" (more information in the manual by "man passwd"). NOTE: Updating your new password to CSC computing environment takes approximately one hour.
- How to find project information? Project manager may log on the Scientist's User Interface and select Personal information. Select Project identifier of your project. Project information page will open showing the participants of your project and other details.