Performance optimization service
CSC aims at providing the best possible resources for pursuing state-of-the-art computational science. This involves not only cutting-edge hardware resources, but also assistance with optimizing and tuning the performance of the programs to achieve good computational throughput. This allows researchers to carry out studies on larger systems and longer time scales. The relevant optimizations are, among others, an increased flop/s rate per processor, improved parallel scaling, as well as decreased memory consumption and filesystem stress.
Requirements for the candidate programs
The code should be complete and correct; we do not write new software or debug incorrect ones. CSC assumes no legal responsibility for the software; the customer must also possess the right to send us the source code for optimization and takes full legal responsibility for doing so. The software sent for optimization does not have to be the customer's own program, it can also be a third-party (open source) program extensively employed by the user.
This service is free for our academic customers. We make no commitments to the result of the optimization or the time in which the optimization is to be completed. The modified code is delivered with no warranties. We aim to provide the customer with a bug-free code but the responsibility for ensuring that the results are correct lies with the users of the software. Due to limited resources there is a selection process for the software. The factors that affect the chance for being selected are, in no particular order:
- Well-documented and commented source code
- Good instructions for compiling and using the program
- The potential for improving the performance of the program
- The software is written in C, Fortran 9X, C++ or Fortran 77
- Open source programs are favored
- The current and future amount of computational resources used by the program at CSC
- The number of CSC customers who use the program.
ApplicationThe application should include the following information:
Name and contact information
- Source code
- Preferably several test cases for benchmarking and verification
- Instructions for how to compile the program and run the test cases
- If available, a manual and other
- A short summary of the research topics where this program is used
- An assessment of the number of CSC customers who use the program, now and in the future
- An assessment of the amount of computational resources used at CSC, now and in the future and those required by a typical simulation / project
- What limitations have you hit with the current version of the software
- What are in your opinion the main performance bottlenecks in the program
- References to articles or theses that are relevant in the context of this program
- Further information (free text).
Send the applications with all necessary attachments to email@example.com. We will not redistribute the code or any other information without permission.
We would like to see CSC and this service acknowledged for the optimization efforts in a suitable publication made with the optimized code. In addition, we welcome subsequent reports on experiences with the optimized code.
|Enkovaara Jussi||+358 9 457 2935||Jussi.Enkovaara at csc.fi|