National Land Survey's Paikkatietoikkuna is a central place for discovering Finnish spatial data sets. It includes:
- Open spatial data
is a list of links to open spatial data sets and interface services to
- Map window can be used to view maps and browse geographic information.
- Metadata search can be used to search for information about spatial
data sets and geographic information services.
- Paikkatietohakemisto - a scheme service that allows the browsing of data product specifications including their xml-schemes
- European comission, INSPIRE Geoportal
- EuroGeographics, EuroGlobalMap (1:1 000 000).
- USGS, Global Visualization Viewer: Landsat, GLS ja EO-1 satellite images.
Global Land Cover Facility, Earth Science Data Interface (ESDI): Landsat, ASTER ja MODIS satellite images, STRM elevation model, AVHRR land cover.
NGA (National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency), VMAP, general vector data produced in 1991-93. VMAP0 data is in scale 1:1 000 000 and is available globally. VMAP1 is in scale 1:1:250 000 and is for free available only from certain parts of world, for example from USA and Russia. More information may be found from Wikipedia. The data is originally in VPF format, in more practical shape format the data can be downloaded from GIS-Lab pages: VMAP0 and VMAP1.
- Natural Earth, general vector data: coast lines, contours, rivers and lakes, glaciers, country borders etc. There are available also designed raster maps suitable to be used as background maps. The map scale is 1:10 000 000.
- NOAA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, for example:
- ETOPO1, digital elevation model in two versions: according to bedrock or including also glaciers. Grid resolution 1 arc minute. Includes also water areas
- GLOBE, digital elevation model from 1999. Grid resolution 30 arc seconds. Only land areas.
- European Environment Agency, Data and Maps, a lot of data related to environment from all Europe, for example: Natura areas, CORINE land cover, drainage basins, digital elevation model, data about water and air quality etc.
- JRC, Image2000, CORINE land cover project's satellite images. This service requires registration, which may take several days.
HELCOM Map and data Service, a lot of data about the Baltic Sea.
WorldClim, global weather dataset includes monthly minimum, maximum and average air temperature, precipitation and bioclim. Data is available in grid resolutions 30 arc seconds (about 1x1 km) and 2.5, 5 and10 arc minutes. There are available also modeled data sets about past and future.
- GeoNames. A database of placenames, under a CC-BY license. Founded by Marc Wick.
- The Geosciences Network (GEON) project is a collaboration among a dozen PI institutions and a number of other partner projects, institutions, and agencies to develop cyberinfrastructure in support of an environment for integrative geoscience research. GEON is funded by the NSF Information Technology Research (ITR) program.
- National Geographic Data Center Archive of national and international marine environmental and ecosystem datasets.
- The National Space Science Data Center serves as the permanent archive for NASA space science mission data. "Space science" means astronomy and astrophysics, solar and space plasma physics, and planetary and lunar science. As permanent archive, NSSDC teams with NASA's discipline-specific space science "active archives" which provide access to data to researchers and, in some cases, to the general public.
- Polar Data Catalogue A primarily Canadian archive of free RADARSAT imagery as well as Arctic, Antarctic, and other cryospheric data sets covering a range of disciplines, from natural sciences and policy to health and social sciences.
- Bing Maps WMS services are license based, but are included for free into ArcGIS ArcInfo/ArcEditor/ArcView 10 and MapInfo 10.5 licenses. MapInfo license includes aerial images and "hybrid" map, ArcGIS license includes also the road map. Guidelines from using the dataset from MapInfo and ArcGIS software.
- HELCOM Map and data Service, a lot of data about the Baltic Sea.
- Open Street Map WMS Europe service
- ESRI ArcGIS.com ArcGIS Server interface services may be used with ArcGIS products.
- Basemap maps, that are especially easy to use from ArcMap. The best content about Finland is available from these layers:
- OpenStreetMap, exact road map, quality varies from place to place. No use restrictions.
- Imagery, satellite imagery, from metropolian area very exact images, otherwise about from scale 1:75 000. No use restrictions.
Topographic map, available from scale 1:5000. Hill-shading and in more detailed scales also contours. No use restrictions.
- DeLorme World Basemap, topographic map with contours, from scale 1:300 000.
- National Geographic Basemap
- Landsat satellite images, mm. False Color/Near Infrared 1975-2005, Agriculture 1990-2005, Landsat NDVI Change, Landsat Time Enabled Imagery, Healthy Vegetation 1990-2005, Atmospheric Penetration 1990-2005, Vegetation Analysis 1990-2005, Land / Water Boundary 1990-2005, Shortwave Infrared 1990-2005.
- Attention! ArcGIS.com datasets may be used in ArcMap also in EUREF-FIN or KKJ coordinate system, but it is a lot slower and also the image quality is worse. Use rather this coordinate system: Predefined -> Projected Coordinate Systems -> World -> WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).