Centre of Excellence in Simulation of Weather and Climate in Europe Phase 3
The third phase of the Centre of Excellence in Simulation of Weather and Climate in Europe (ESiWACE) focuses on the support of the weather and climate modeling community to reach a higher readiness level regarding exascale supercomputing and knowledge transfer between the different Earth system modelling centres and teams across Europe.
ESiWACE3 aims to prepare existing, operational weather and climate prediction systems for the exascale era through
- the transfer and establishment of knowledge and technology for efficient and scalable simulations of weather and climate across the Earth system modelling community
- closing common technology knowledge gaps and by providing toolboxes for high-resolution Earth system modelling via joint developments
- by serving as a sustainable community hub for training, communication and dissemination for high-performance computing for weather and climate modelling in Europe.
ESiWACE3 will bring the various approaches to address the challenges from the different modelling groups together to transfer knowledge across the weather and climate domain, to generate synergies between the local efforts, to provide targeted support of modelling groups via customised high-performance computing services, and to provide training to educate the next generation of researchers.
To achieve the aims, ESiWACE3 will focus on a number of top-level objectives to support the community of weather and climate modelling in Europe:
- Increase efficiency of weather and climate simulations on state-of-the-art supercomputers.
- Design tools to close technology gaps for high performance computing.
- Develop tools to tackle the data challenge of high-resolution weather and climate modelling.
- Support the wider community of weather and climate modelling in the use of state-of-the-art supercomputers via targeted services.
- Support the wider community of weather and climate modelling in the use of state-of-the-art supercomputers via training and capacity building.
- Build a well-connected and inclusive community for high-resolution Earth system modelling across Earth system science and HPC and establish connections and knowledge transfer between existing European initiatives.
The ESiWACE3 consortium includes climate research institutions, operational weather services, supercomputing centres, industry partners and academia. CSC will lead the training and capacity building activities to support the weather and climate modelling community. The aim is to transfer knowledge on efficient and scalable weather and climate simulations from ESiWACE3 experts to the European modelling community by organising training that will answer the specific needs of weather and climate modellers. The goal is also to strengthen the knowledge transfer and coordination between ESiWACE3 and other projects and initiatives within the European training landscape. The trainings will be offered in different formats such as summer schools, hackathons and online material.