Call for Finnish LUMI Extreme Scale Access projects is open - Call for Finnish LUMI Extreme Scale Access projects is open
Call for Finnish LUMI Extreme Scale Access projects is open
The first Finnish call for proposals for LUMI Extreme Scale Access projects is extended. The new closing date for the call is on November 26th, 2021.
The accepted projects should mostly use LUMI's GPU partition (LUMI-G), which will be open for users in spring 2022 after the second installation phase of LUMI.
This call for proposals is aimed for high-impact, high-gain innovative research, open to all fields of science justifying the need for the capacity to use extremely large allocations in terms of compute time (especially GPU) and data storage resources. The call for the Finland's Extreme Scale Access projects is organized by CSC – IT Center for Science, and it is open for researchers in Finnish higher education and research institutions.
The lifetime of the projects would be by default one year from the general availability of LUMI-G. The CPU-based LUMI-C has already been installed. You can find more information on different LUMI project types at https://research.csc.fi/lumi-access. The application for smaller Finnish LUMI project types will be opened in the near future in MyCSC.
We encourage the applicants to concretely bring up in their proposals why their research topic needs these resources, and if their project would be granted the requested resources, what would be the resulting scientific breakthrough.
In the proposal, applicants need to:
• Demonstrate that the research requires the use of extremely large allocations to reach the objectives;
• Demonstrate that the method, software and tools are technically adapted to LUMI GPU. This can be shown by technical data collected from GPU systems currently available: Mahti GPU, Puhti GPU, LUMI Early Access Platform (once it is available) or other large accelerated system, such as Piz Daint, see also the instructions at the bottom of the web page https://research.csc.fi/lumi-access;
• Provide a project plan, with adequate time schedule of the expected resource consumption during the lifetime of the project.
The proposals will go through technical and scientific evaluation. Proposals will be scientifically assessed by an international panel with research team leaders from a variety of disciplines.
The overall selection criteria are technical readiness and scientific potential of the research but a good span over different use cases will be considered (i.e. suitability):
• Artificial intelligence and machine learning
• Large-scale simulations
• Data-intensive simulations
The proposal should specify the needed GPU hours, CPU core-hours, and storage hours. The requested resources should be limited between 0.5–2 million GPU hours and max. 16 million CPU core-hours.
The call is open until Friday, November 26th, 2021, at 16:00 EET (15.00 CET). The proposal form can be found here. You can save and edit your proposal until you decide to send it.
The proposals will be evaluated in the beginning of 2022, and the accepted Extreme Scale Access projects can start when LUMI-G becomes available for users after Q1/2022.
Additional information on LUMI projects and evaluation criteria: https://research.csc.fi/lumi-access and https://research.csc.fi/grand-challenge-proposals
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org