EU consultation on the Mission oriented approach in FP9 and CSC's proposals for Missions for Europe - EU consultation on the Mission oriented approach in FP9 and CSC's proposals for Missions for Europe
CSC's response to the EU consultation on the Mission oriented approach in FP9, 3.4.2018
- Excellence should remain the key criterion for the selection and evaluation of missions.
- It is important to include competences and capacities from a variety of fields, and to involve different actors and stakeholders.
- More flexibility is needed in the project execution to re-focus the project and its budget if the circumstances change during the projects life-span.
- It should be clarified by the EC how the knowledge generated in the project will be distributed to relevant target groups in the future.
- The focus of citizen involvement in the missions should be on dissemination of the results and enhancing citizen science.
Read CSC's contribution to the consultation here (pdf).
CSC's proposals: Missions for Europe, 3.4.2018
- Democratisation of AI and ethical use of data: We are living in a world where undemocratic and unethical actors are gaining ground in the use of data and the development of Artificial Intelligence. This might seriously undermine the benefits of technological development turning them into threats that endanger democracy. The mission is to create a democratic and ethically sustainable AI and data ecosystem for Europe. Focusing on AI development in general is crucial for Europe.
Sustainable Arctic: Understanding and mitigating climate change is one of the crucial challenges the world is facing in 20th century. Climate is warming faster than average in the Arctic region, which will have a huge impact s on the environment and society on a global scale. The mission is to gain a holistic understanding of the mechanisms related to climate change: melting of ice, sea-level rise, melting of permafrost, changes in vegetation, health and societal, security and connectivity.
Read the full text of CSC's proposals: Missions for Europe (pdf)