FAIRsFAIR – Fostering Fair Data Practices in Europe - FAIRsFAIR – Fostering Fair Data Practices in Europe
Funding source: H2020
Project duration: 1.3.2019 – 30.9.2020
Project website: www.fairsfair.eu
What we are doing:
FAIRsFAIR (Fostering Fair Data Practices in Europe), as a part of the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) framework, aims to supply practical solutions for the use of the FAIR data principles throughout the research data life cycle. The emphasis is on fostering FAIR data culture and the uptake of good practices in making data FAIR. The aim is to support all scientific communities for creating, further developing and implementing a common scheme to ensure data development, wide uptake of and compliance with FAIR data principles and practices by data producers as well as national and European research data providers and repositories contributing to the EOSC.
FAIRsFAIR will provide a platform for using and implementing the FAIR principles in the day to day work of national and European research data providers and repositories. The consortium cooperates with other projects that will be funded under the INFRAEOSC-05-2018 and with the EOSC coordination structure developed in the existing EOSC-pilot and EOSC-hub projects.
The available experiences of all project partners and third parties will be required to accelerate the FAIR proliferation in all its facets. FAIRsFAIR aims to deliver a badging scheme for assessing the compliance of data resources with the FAIR principles. FAIRsFAIR will contribute to the continuous development of a FAIR culture at EU level and globally.
There are 22 partners, and the project is coordinated by DANS from the Netherlands.
CSC's role focuses on the interoperability of FAIR data services and policy. CSC will be leading the Work Package 2: FAIR Practices: semantics, interoperability and data, which aims to apply, refine and align the interoperability of FAIR research resources and repositories, and to provide expertise on the application of the FAIR concept to data services.
In addition, CSC will focus on Work Package 3: FAIR data policy and practice, which aims at increasing the production and use of FAIR data by and for a wide range of public and private stakeholders in a broad range of research disciplines, demonstrating how policy and practice by funders, researchers and data stewardship organisations can achieve increased production and use of FAIR data, and guide necessary change in policy and practice at funder, repository and organisational levels to achieve increased production and use of FAIR data. CSC has PMs also in the Work Package 5.
Benefits for Finland:
- Support for the implementation of a common scheme to ensure data development, wide uptake of and compliance with FAIR data principles and practices through the EOSC
- Apply and align the interoperability of FAIR research resources and repositories
- Provide expertise on the application of the FAIR concept to Data Services, including software
- Provision of a sustainable certification mechanism for trustworthy repositories of FAIR research data, strengthening existing certification schemas such as Core Trust Seal, Nestor/DIN31644 and ISO16363
- Support for a wide range of communities in their activities aimed at FAIR data uptake and compliance
- Deliver a FAIR data competence framework for higher education and professionals to support the development of a FAIR data culture and the uptake of FAIR data principles in data science and other relevant disciplines, including also training the trainers