|Date:||09.09.2019 9:00 - 13.10.2019 17:00|
|Location details:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
Python programming language has become popular in scientific computing due to many benefits it offers for fast code development. Unfortunately, the performance of pure Python programs is often sub-optimal, but fortunately this can be easily remedied. In this course we teach various ways to optimise and parallelise Python programs. Among the topics are performance analysis, efficient use of NumPy arrays, extending Python with more efficient languages (Cython), and parallel computing with message passing (mpi4py) approach.
After the course participants are able to
- analyse performance of Python program and use NumPy more efficiently
- optimize Python programs with Cython
- utilize external libraries in Python programs
- write simple parallel programs with Python
Participants need some experience in Python programming, but expertise is not required. One should be familiar with
- Python syntax
- Basic builtin datastructures (lists, tuples, dictionaries)
- Control structures (if-else, for, while)
- Writing functions and modules
Some previous experience on NumPy will be useful, but not strictly required.