pouta-cloud-course-2018 - Training
|Date:||21.11.2018 9:00 - 21.11.2018 17:00|
|Location details:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
|The fee covers all materials, lunches as well as morning and afternoon coffees.|
Payment can be made with electronic invoicing, credit card, or direct bank transfer. Note that for electronic invoicing you need the operator and e-invoicing address (OVT code) of your organization. Please also note that invoice reference is needed for electronic invoicing in your organization, so please have this available when registering.
This course gives you a practical introduction for using CSC's cloud services Pouta. The Pouta cloud services are meant for all fields of science & research. It allows users to solve computational challenges which have not previously been possible to run on CSC's other computing systems.
Some usecases where Pouta cloud services are especially suitable are research projects that require applications with a browser based user interface, self building of complex application stacks, tools and services that need super-user access or specific version of OS, that utilise features that are not available for normal users in Taito supercluster (for ex. Docker Containers, web or database servers, Applications with custom package version requirements ) or have Sensitive data processing requirements(ePouta Cloud).
Pouta clouds in short:
- Community IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) cloud service offering from CSC for research & educational purposes
- Based on the open source OpenStack software
- Allows running your own virtual machines on CSC's infrastructure
- Flexibility to decide your own OS, middleware & runtime environment.
- Allows Superuser control of applications and operating system
- Permits direct connection to the Internet, providing new collaboration opportunities (applicable for cPouta)
- Platform for processing sensitive data (ePouta)
The course will consist of lectures and hands-on exercises on the following :
- Cloud computing in general
- Cloud service landscape
- Pouta virtual resources basics
- Creating your virtual resources in Pouta (VM, Volumes, Networks, etc.)
- Managing your virtual Resources (VM, Volumes, Security Groups, VM Snapshots, etc. )
- Optional: Orchestration with Heat
- Optional: Accessing Pouta Object storage