sept19-rbasics - Training
|Date:||23.09.2019 9:00 - 23.09.2019 17:00|
|Location details:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
|The fee covers all materials, lunches as well as morning and afternoon coffees.|
Payment can be made with electronic invoicing, credit card, or direct bank transfer. Note that for electronic invoicing you need the operator and e-invoicing address (OVT code) of your organization. Please also note that invoice reference is needed for electronic invoicing in your organization, so please have this available when registering.
R is a language and an environment that has become one of the most popular tools for data analysis. There are plenty of online courses and other learning material available but the learning curve can still be rather steep, especially for people with no experience in programming. This course aims to help with this initial difficulty, so that further learning using other sources becomes possible.
Who should join this course?
The whole content of this one-day course is available as a Jupyter notebook at https://notebooks.csc.fi. The notebook is a standalone interactive document that you can use for learning the whole content of the course on your own. A non-interactive version on GitHub is also provided for review. Please take a look at either the non-interactive version or try the notebook.
Instructions for starting the notebook are given below. If the contents seem easy, you will probably find the course very easy as well. In that case consider working through the notebook, or any other online course, in your own time. If on the other hand the material feels challenging, or while trying to work through it you run into problems, the course should prove useful.
No programming background using R or any other language is expected. General IT knowledge and an ability to work with files should be enough.
After the course the participant should be able to understand R syntax, read in data and perform preliminary analyses on it. Most importantly the participant will be prepared to start learning proper data analysis and wrangling skills in R.
Directions for starting the notebook
The Jupyter notebook for the course is used through a web browser. To reach it, follow these steps:
1. Go to notebooks.csc.fi and log in using the Haka authentication service. If you do not have a Haka account and password, please contact the course staff.
2. Find the course blueprint titled "Introduction to R" in the Blueprints dashboard, and click on "Launch new".
3. Wait a moment for the virtual machine to start and click on "Open in browser" once the link appears.
4. Your browser should open a new tab containing a Jupyter workspace. Click through onto the "work/R-for-beginners" folder and then click on the file called "baseRintro.ipynb".
5. Your browser should now open the notebook in a new tab and you can start working on it. Further instructions are given in the notebook itself.
9:00-10:30 Lecture & exercises
10:30-10:45 Coffee break
10:45-12:15 Lecture & exercises
12:15-13:00 Lunch break
13:00-14:30 Lecture & exercises
14:30 -14:45 Coffee break
14:45 - 17:00 Lecture & exercises