OpenFOAM® Introduction Course - Training
|Date:||06.06.2012 08:30 - 07.06.2012 16:00|
|lecturers:|| Jukka-Pekka Keskinen |
The course is intended for those with little or no previous knowledge of OpenFOAM® package. The course gives an overview of OpenFOAM and is a good starting point for the package usage. This course is fifth realization of the introduction course at CSC.
OpenFOAM CFD Toolbox is freely available and open source. It is licensed under the Gnu General Public License. For more information about OpenFOAM, see OpenFOAM home webpage.
The backbone of the course comprises of tutorials with hand-on sessions in which participants resolve the tutorial problems by themself, with assistance of the course trainers. Before each of the tutorial, in the preliminaries sections, all required information necessary for the tutorial are presented. At the end of the course, participants have become familiar with OpenFOAM usage and are able to start using the softaware in their specific projects including own code development.
In the end of the course trainees has opportunity to get help from trainers in implementations of trainees' own cases. Course participants are asked to send in advance descriptions of their cases including input materials, such as the geometry files.
Course materials consist of copies of the presentation slides and tutorial material.The course precede Finnish OpenFOAM Users Day 2012 organized at CSC's premises.
8.00 Registration, coffee
8.30 Course introduction - Overview on OpenFOAM package
9.30 Tutorial 1: Turbulent flow simulations with OpenFOAM
- preliminaries: Low-Re modelling, wall functions, extending OpenFOAM with own turbulence model
- validation case: Buice-Eaton diffuser
13.00 Building an own solver
- Example: adding an equation for passive scalar
14.15 Tutorial 2: Grid generation with OpenFOAM
- preliminaries: automated and parallelized grid generator with snappyHexMesh
- different validation cases
17.00 End of the day
8.15 Field Operations with OpenFOAM and Building a Solver for LES
- basic field operations and finite volume method with OpenFOAM
- introduction to Large Eddy Simulation (LES)
- implementation of the new solver
- validation of the solver
9.45 Coffee break
10.00 OpenFOAM Function objects
10.45 Tutorial 3: High performance computing with OpenFOAM
- preliminaries: parallel computing with OpenFOAM, client-server operations
- validation case: LES model of turbulent pipe flow
12.30 Tutorial 3: High performance computing with OpenFOAM - cont.
14.00 Coffee break
14.30 Trainees' own cases
- case implementation using OpenFOAM with help by trainers