Pouta Cloud Course 2019
|Aika:||13.11.2019 9:00 - 13.11.2019 17:00|
|Paikan tiedot:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
|Luennoitsijat:|| Shubham Kapoor (CSC) |
Juhani Kataja (CSC)
|The fee covers all materials, lunches as well as morning and afternoon coffees.|
Payment can be made with electronic invoicing, credit card, or direct bank transfer. Note that for electronic invoicing you need the operator and e-invoicing address (OVT code) of your organization. Please also note that invoice reference is needed for electronic invoicing in your organization, so please have this available when registering.
This course gives you a practical introduction for using CSC's Pouta cloud services. The Pouta cloud services are meant for all fields of science & research. It allows users to solve computational challenges which have not previously been possible to run on CSC's other computing systems.
Some usecases where Pouta cloud services are especially suitable are research projects that require applications with a browser based user interface, complex application stacks, tools and services that need super-user (Sudo) access for systems etc. cPouta cloud provides flexibilities that are not available for normal users in Taito supercluster: For ex. running Docker Containers, web or database servers, Applications with custom package version requirements or doing Sensitive Data processing (ePouta Cloud).
Pouta clouds in short:
- Community IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) cloud service offering from CSC for research & educational purposes
- Based on the open source OpenStack cloud middleware.
- Flexibility of deciding your own OS, middleware & runtime environment for VMs.
- Allows Superuser (sudo) control of applications and operating system of VMs.
- Permits direct connection to the Internet, providing new collaboration opportunities (applicable for cPouta)
- Platform for processing sensitive data (ePouta)
A modest amount of familiarity with Linux is expected but is not necessary. Optionally participants may attend Fundamentals of container clouds with Rahti a day later this course to know more about Container clouds & CSC's PaaS cloud service Rahti in general.
The course will consist of lectures and hands-on exercises on the following :
- Cloud computing in general
- Cloud service landscape
- Pouta virtual resources basics
- Creating your virtual resources in Pouta (VM, Volumes, Networks, etc.)
- Managing your virtual Resources (VM, Volumes, Security Groups, VM Snapshots, etc. )
- Optional: Orchestration with Heat
- Optional: Accessing Pouta Object storage