|Date:||08.10.2018 9:00 - 08.10.2018 16:00|
|Location details:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
|Lecturers:|| Speakers can be found from program. |
The aim of the workshop is to share knowledge about high-performance geocomputing. The morning session will concentrate on CSC Taito supercluster. First CSC computing resources are presented in general, and as example use case we will do a hands-on exercise using Python with DEM data.
In the afternoon different current geocomputing projects in Finland are presented. The day will end with an open discussion related to the topic.
- CSC computing resources for spatial analysis
- Zonal statistics exercise with Python in Taito. Materials.
Afternoon session with project presentations
- Eevaliisa Laine, Riikka Valtonen, GTK: "Rock fracture simulation"
- Henrikki Tenkanen, Univeristy of Helsinki: "Using cPouta cloud for distributed computing and transport routing using PostgreSQL"
- Vuokko Heikinheimo, Elias Willberg, Henrikki Tenkanen, University of Helsinki: "Using cPouta cloud for geoinformatics teaching"
- Johanna Eklund, University of Helsinki: "Advances in evaluating protected area effectiveness in avoiding forest loss"
- Timo Pitkänen, LUKE: "Modelling trees from terrestial forest lidar data with Matlab and R"
- Juho Lappalainen, SYKE: "Geocomputing in Species Distribution Modelling and Evaluation of Marine Protected Areas"
- Juha Aalto, University of Helsinki /FMI: "Fine-resolution modeling of Circum-Arctic ground thermal regime"
- Ville Mäkinen, FGI: "1m DEM generation"
- Jan Westerholm, Åbo Akademi: "Clustering of satellite data using dynamic time warping on GPU and CPU"
- Tapio Suominen, University of Turku: "Remotely sensed spatio-temporal patterns of the Gulf of Bothnia"
- Jasper Van doninck, University of Turku: "Mining the Landsat archive for detecting spatial and temporal vegetation patterns in Amazonia"
- Ulpu Leinonen, University of Turku: "Satellite image processing in Google's cloud platform Earth Engine"
- Discussion, CSC
It is possible to participate in the seminar also via teleconference with some limitations:
- The Taito hands-on exercise can be done only if you have your own account to Taito. University users and research insitute users can make themselves an account here.
- The seminar room is quite big, so it is possible that comments from last rows are difficult to hear.
Link to the teleconference room: https://cscfi.zoom.us/j/182498570
We use Zoom meeting rooms for the seminar. At the first time, Zoom asks you to download a launcher plug in. You can do this beforehand. After this, you should be able to open the seminar room from the link. The seminar room is timed, and will open when the seminar begins. When signing in, remember to click "join audio conference by computer". If you are using a headset, it is easiest to plug them in before opening Zoom.
|9:00-10:00||CSC computing resources|
|10:30-11:30||Using Python for spatial analysis in Taito|
|11.30-12:30||Lunch (at own cost)|