Winter School Using Taito 2016 - Winter School Using Taito 2016 - Training
|Date:||04.02.2016 9:00 - 05.02.2016 12:00|
|Location details:||The event is organised at the CSC Training Facilities located in the premises of CSC at Keilaranta 14, Espoo, Finland. The best way to reach us is by public transportation; more detailed travel tips are available.|
|lecturers:|| Ari-Matti Saren |
|Price:||Fee for Finnish academics: 90 EUR (+VAT 24%). Fee for others: 420 EUR (+ VAT 24%).|
|The fee covers all materials, lunches as well as morning and afternoon coffees.|
This course provides a tutorial-style introduction to the essential, practical computational tools for life science research, with a focus on the infrastructure provided by CSC. The topics will include, linux commans line usage, managing your datasets at CSC, running analysis on a computer cluster (Taito).
This course is part of the CSC BioWeek.
No previous knowledge is needed.
The workshop is aimed for graduate students in the field, providing a comprehensive overview on the tools of the trade, without forgetting the important aspect of network building.
- introduction to CSC (servers, accounts etc.)
- connecting CSC servers (shell, NoMachine, Scientist's User Interface)
- linux command line basics
- directories at CSC and how to get your data there
- packing and compressing data
- HPC archive and IDA
- Other tools: FunetFilesender, gridFTP...
- module system at Taito
- using batch jobs for high throughput computing
- first steps with linux scripting